Science Says Silence is Vital for Our Brains

The Proof that Silence Heals

The value of silence is felt by everyone at some point in their life. Silence is comforting, nourishing and cosy. It opens us up to inspiration and nurtures the mind, body and soul. Meanwhile, the madness of the noisy world is drowning out our creativity, our inner connection and hampering our resilience. Science is now showing that silence may be just what we need to regenerate our exhausted brains and bodies.

Studies show that noise has a powerful physical effect on our brains, causing elevated levels of stress hormones. Sound travels to the brain as electrical signals via the ear. Even when we are sleeping these sound waves cause the body to react and activate the amygdala, the part of the brain associated with memory and emotion, leading to the release of stress hormones. So, living in a consistently noisy environment will cause you to experience extremely high levels of these harmful hormones.

Interestingly, the word noise is said to come from the Latin word nausia, (disgust or nausea) or the Latin word noxia, meaning hurt, damage or injury. Noise has been linked to high blood pressure, heart disease, tinnitus and loss of sleep. We’ve all experienced the detrimental effects of noise pollution. Excessive noise can be a major affront to the physical senses and today, more and more people are identifying as highly sensitive and unable to function in chaotic and noisy environments. But now science has the proof not only that noise hurts, but also that silence heals.

The Effects of Silence

In 2011, the World Health Organisation (WHO) examined and quantified its health burden in Europe. It concluded that the 340 million residents of Western Europe (about the population of the United States), were losing a million years of healthy life every year, due to noise. WHO also said that the root cause of 3,000 heart disease deaths was due to excessive noise. A study by Professor Gary W. Evans from Cornell University, published in Psychological Science, charted the effects of airport noise on school children near Munich’s airport. The study showed that children exposed to noise developed a stress response which actually caused them to ignore the noise. He found that the children ignored both the harmful noise of the airport, along with other more everyday noises, such as speech.

This study is among the strongest, probably the most definitive proof that noise–even at levels that do not produce any hearing damage–causes stress and is harmful to humans. – Professor Gary Evans.

Scientists didn’t actively set out to study the effects of silence but instead discovered its benefits by accident. Silence first began to appear in scientific research as a control or baseline, against which scientists compare the effects of noise or music. Physician Luciano Bernardi studied the physiological effects of noise and music in 2006, making a startling discovery. When the subjects of his study were exposed to the random stretches of silence in between the noise and music, they experienced a powerful effect. The two-minute pauses were far more relaxing for the brain than the relaxing music or the longer silence that was in place before the experiment started. In fact, Bernardi’s ‘irrelevant’ blank pauses became the most important aspect of the study. One of his key findings was that silence is heightened by contrasts.

Many meditation teachers and practitioners can attest to this, and spiritual teachers advise students to take frequent meditative pauses throughout the day. Though we may think of silence as a lack of input, science says otherwise. The brain recognises silence and responds powerfully. Later research by a Duke University regenerative biologist, Imke Kirste, discovered that two hours of silence per day prompted cell development in the hippocampus, the brain region related to the formation of memory, involving the senses.

Taking Time to Switch Off

According to the Attention Restoration Theory, when you are in an environment with lower levels of sensory input, the brain can ‘recover’ some of its cognitive abilities. With our digital world, our brains get less time to switch off. We are constantly processing enormous amounts of information. Research has shown the constant demands of modern life are placing a lot of stress on our prefrontal cortex–the part of the brain responsible for making decisions, solving problems and more. When we spend time alone in silence, our brains are able to relax and release this constant focus.

Researchers found that silence helps new cells to differentiate into neurons and integrate into the system, and that when we experience silence, our brains are able to work at better understanding our internal and external environments. We can make sense of our lives and gain perspective, something that is vital for our overall wellbeing.

While noise creates stress, silence relieves stress and tension in the brain and body. Silence is replenishing and nourishes our cognitive resources. Noise makes us lose our concentration, cognitive powers and causes decreased motivation and brain functioning (as backed up by research into the effects of noise), but studies show that spending some time in silence can amazingly restore what was lost through exposure to excessive noise. The ancient spiritual masters have known this all along; silence heals, silence takes us deeply into ourselves, and silence balances the body and mind. Now science is saying the same thing.

The healing benefits of nature and stillness are well documented, but now we can add to this quest for health and wellbeing, the nourishment of our brains. The simple yet ancient experience of silence could be just the healing balm we need to quell our crazy modern lifestyle.

Silence is an empty space. Space is the home of the awakened mind. – Buddha

~

What is your relationship with silence? Has this article changed or affirmed your own feelings about it? We would love to hear your thoughts, and experiences with silence in the comments below.

With love and quiet peace,
Team UPLIFT

Related

Comments

Notify of
60 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
Caroline
4 years ago

Please site your sources

Helen Allen
4 years ago

Where or how do you find silence in an urban setting?

Cathy
4 years ago

Concerning the tinnitus discussion…..what I got from the article is that noise raises bad hormone levels snd silence lowers them. So it would seem tinnitus noise would be a constant hormone release with never having silence to lower them. If this is the case I think more effort should be put toward finding a real cure. Not a try this or try that kind of thing.

Jennifer
4 years ago

True silence seems impossible to achieve. Even in the middle of the woods, away from all human sounds, the water, birds, insects provide constant sound.

Does anyone have experience with noise canceling headphones.

IGNITED
4 years ago

Does sensory music help cause thats what has been keeping me calm for years when i get super stressed i put that on and it makes me feel relaxed so idk if it counts now that i read this article

Sylvia
4 years ago

I did the 10 days Vipassana (includes nobel silence) the most shocking experience was the last day when all people started chatting again in the dining room. Horrible.

Jana
4 years ago

Phillip Island is only 1.5 hrs from Melbourne.

Paul A. L. Hall
5 years ago

A study done in New York City by the City Government in 1965 found that prologued exposure to noise or any sound for that matter above a certain decibel level (I think it was around 75 decibels)for extended periods definitely resulted in causing the victim to become insane …

Margo
5 years ago

Can you subscribe me manually.
I must resubscribe manually due to a Mailchimp compliance issue.

B.G.Ramaprasad
5 years ago

Blood is pumped.With every pumping body bumps during day time and when we are working physically. But, during night time or when body is not working the body does not bump woth every pumping of blood. There is relax in the body, spiritually it is one with atma or soul or paramatma as anoraneeyan, the effect is sleep, the more relax the body is, the more relaxing , and it is Antaranga Darshan or Vishwaroppa Darshan. We all do experience this during our sleep. But, to peep outside our body is essential to have Virat Darshan of The Paramatma. That is, Maha Advaita Vedanta Philosophy, and it is feeling of One with The Universe and The Paramatma, as Mahato Maheeyan.
B.G.RAMAPRASAD

Delmam Assis
5 years ago

I feel this! I love the silence!

El QUixote
5 years ago

I”ve been campaigning for years against noisy motorbikes and other unnecessarily noisy machines to no avail. The ecological ignorance and apathy out there is as large, or larger, and much noisier than the universe.

Wendy Jorgensen
5 years ago

As a musician and mother I’ve learned how helpful it can be to turn off all the noise – the subsequent creative energy is remarkable & deeply refreshing.

paulette
5 years ago

my job has become a noise. pollutant..and i have seen the stressers it has caused..and the results ..in my life..i have to get thru this year..and i am out..hope to reverse the damage quickly…

Laura
5 years ago

I have been using earplugs when I sleep. It is making all the difference in a brain injury I have as far as getting my equilibrium back and healing. I wasn’t sure if it was because I was sleeping uninterrupted or both but now I know it is because my hormones levels have lowered as my body doesn’t respond to every bump in the night. I’m glad to see the research. It certainly has improved my life to block it all out and relax and sleep in silence.

Troy
6 years ago

This meditation helps one achieve mental silence through thoughtless awareness.

Edvard
6 years ago

I got level3 tinnitus and AS (Asperger) so noise is hell.

Beverley.....
6 years ago

Well i have always know this to be true..so glad science has caught up …i am at my best in if not silence quiet surroundibgs…but i long for silence daily..i have Bipolar 1 and i know that noise is a triggor for me to become unwell…noise is toxic energy..silence is Golden Nectar….white light ..pure energy….???..like sunshine for the soul..

Jeff Agostinelli
6 years ago

Absolutely love this article, thanks Azriel! Silence is golden 🙂

Victor
6 years ago

What about white noise or brown noise?

Ena
6 years ago

Ever since I was a small child, noise has affected me very badly. In my experience I have found it disorienting and very stressful. For me silence is truly a jewel to treasure and make time for daily!

Ingjerd
6 years ago

I fully agree. A couple of years ago I held a lecture on silence in our lokal library. It was quite still in the room during the lecture, and I felt this was something people really needed to be aware of. Very good, special atmosphere after the lecture also.
I am totally convinced that silence has that positive impact on us, by my own experience.
Great that science also find it interesting to study now!

Heksie
6 years ago

I also have tinnitus but I make sure I get creative in my art without any other noise only the birds singing,then I don’t hear my tinnitus. The more you do something you love the less you hear your tinnitus. I got my tinnitus from noisy neighbours then we move to a quite place. Tinnitus is not nice but one learn to lived with it. I feel the less you think about tinnitus the less you hear it. God can help you with everything. Ben you are right external silent is internal silents for us.

Pat
6 years ago

Unfortunately, i rarely experience silence due to tinnitus. Any suggestions?

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x
Feel Your Body
Relax your body, and just be aware of how your body feels. Without changing anything, notice what you are feeling, and where you are feeling things in your body.  If your body wants to adjust a little, let it. Be curious how it feels as your body relaxes.

Get our regular newsletter sharing the latest updates, articles, films and events.