Four Unconscious Questions We Constantly Ask Each Other

Four Unconscious Questions We Constantly Ask Each Other
What We Say in Silence

Maya Angelou suggests there are four questions that we’re all unconsciously asking each other, all the time.

We ask the people we love, we ask the people who matter to us professionally, and on a broader level, we ask the people we encounter as we go about our everyday lives: The cashier who takes your coffee order, the jogging neighbor you wave to from the car on the way to work, the elderly woman sitting across from you on the train.

The four questions rarely get asked with words, just as they’re rarely answered with words.

They’re almost always silent questions, because they’re almost always unconscious.

When the silent answer to each of the four silent questions is a definitive YES, the love (or basic sense of humanity, in the broader examples) in the relationship becomes more palpable and is, in turn, immediately felt.

In a romantic context, when the questions go unanswered, the person unconsciously asking them typically becomes increasingly distant, grows restless in the relationship, and often starts seeking drama and distraction to get attention and feel more alive.

In the broader context, people who don’t get an answer to these questions (or worse, who receive a ‘no’) feel increasingly disconnected from any sense of community.

We even ask strangersWe ask everyone these questions unconsciously, even strangers.

The Four Critical Questions:

1. Do you see me?
  2. Do you care that I’m here?
  3. Am I enough for you, or do you need me to be better in some way?
  4. Can I tell that I’m special to you by the way that you look at me?

Whether it’s your kids, your colleagues, your partner, or really anyone in your community, when someone feels genuinely appreciated by you, it’s because you treat them in such a way that affirmatively answers each question pretty consistently. It’s because when you look at them, you actually take the time to see them.

One reason why some people love dogs so much?

Dogs answer the four questions with a big, “Yes!” near constantly. Those furry little spiritual masters are always in the present moment, so their quality of connection is always heightened (subsequently, so is the level of palpable connection they emit).

Unlike our K-9 counterparts, we regularly slip out of the present moment and go somewhere else.

It at least makes more sense when we evade the present moment during ostensibly mundane activities, like an unnecessary meeting, doing laundry, our commute, etc. But invariably, the habit of not being present spills over into the moments we really mean to be present for:

• The love of your life walks into the room before bed and you barely look up from your phone.
  • You meet your best friend for brunch and go through the motions of the hug, the ‘you look so cute’ and the ‘it took forever to get here!’ without actually feeling much.
  • You’re tying your daughter’s shoe and when you’re done, you get up to reach for her packed lunch and hand it to her while you’re simultaneously grabbing your bag and keys, all without ever looking at her.

We all do this. We blaze through darling moments every single day.

Cultivating presenceWe can learn to be present even in the more mundane moments.

Sometimes we don’t really remember much about our week because we just weren’t fully there.

But how do we answer these questions constantly?

Answering the Questions

I’m not encouraging intense stare downs with every single human you encounter, but what I do hear so often in my work is this:

She’s looking at me, but it’s like she’s looking past me.

I know he cares and I objectively know he loves me more than anything, but he’s so checked out.

I just want to shake him sometimes like, wake up!

If you see someone, let them know you see them.

Slow down, and though it feels strange to write because it’s so simple: take a second to actually look at another person.

Just one extra second. Literally.

And on the topic of literally, certainly if you love someone, show some love! Literally. Let the love you feel show on your face, in your eyes and in your quality of presence.

Slowing down and taking the one extra second is how you connect.

The Art of Connection

It’s this incredibly simple part of the human experience that’s getting lost in the modern rush. Taking the one extra second is the kind of quality that shapes your mood for the better after a bad news day (or bad news week, or bad news year), it’s the secret to the people we find so charming, it’s what the best leaders do–helping people feel seen and valued will totally shift your life.

Take an extra secondConnection is based on the quality of presence, so take that extra second.

We can all get by without connection, at least for a little while, but if we really want to thrive, we have to connect to each other.

Connection is not based on how much time we spend with someone or what we do with them, connection is always based on quality of presence.

This is why we fall in love with people who make us feel alive, because on some level, we’re all desperate to be more present.

Being present doesn’t require meditation, deep breaths, or anything like that. It’s just a one second decision, “Ok, I’m gonna be present now.”

It’s not a decision you make in the morning and then never have to think about again, it’s a decision you make over and over and over again throughout the day. Oops, wandered away from the present moment? No probs. The return flight is one second long.

The four questions are impossible for you to answer unless you’re present.

If you’re at all interested in experimenting with the idea that people are always asking the four questions, for one week, use an image of the number ‘4’ as the wallpaper on your phone. Let the number be a cue to help you remember to answer the questions, not out loud, but on your face, in your touch, in your eyes, with the quality of your presence.

Taking the one extra second doesn’t have to be constant to be successful (i.e. to have an impact on your quality of connection to yourself and others). Just do it as you remember to, do it as you please, and that will be enough.

Related

COMMENTS

5 1 vote
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
27 Comments
Inline Feedbacks
the npa Dictionary in la
the npa Dictionary in la
2 years ago

What a information of un-ambiguity and preserveness of valuable experience regarding
unexpected feelings.

Sadye
Sadye
2 years ago

It’s hard to find educated people in this particular subject,
however, you seem like you know what you’re talking about!
Thanks

healthy food
healthy food
2 years ago

It’s an remarkable paragraph in support of all thee online visitors;
they will obtain benefit from it I am sure.

buy gbl online
buy gbl online
2 years ago

Helpful information. Lucky me I discovvered your website by chance, and I am shocked why this twist of fate did
not came about earlier! I bookmarked it.

Safalinfinite.Com.Au
Safalinfinite.Com.Au
2 years ago

Thanks for finally talking about >Four Unconscious Questions We Constantly Ask Each Other <Loved it!

Judi Bandarq Online
Judi Bandarq Online
2 years ago

For most recent information yoou have to visit world-wide-web and
on world-wide-web I found thiis wweb site as a finest website for latest updates.

Soon
Soon
2 years ago

This piece of writing gives clear idea in support
of the new users of blogging, that really how to do blogging
and site-building.

Essex kitchens and bathrooms
Essex kitchens and bathrooms
2 years ago

Some genuinely superb blog posts on this web site, thanks for contribution.

rolladenmeister24.de
rolladenmeister24.de
3 years ago

That is a good tip particularly to those new to the blogosphere.
Simple but very precise info… Appreciate your sharing this one.
A must read post!

Kit
Kit
4 years ago

Thank you for every other informative blog. The place else may just I am getting that kind of info written in such
an ideal manner? I have a challenge that I’m just now running
on, and I have been at the look out for such information.

Elaine
Elaine
4 years ago

Really liked this! So relevant…& so true. All the meaningful interacti0ns in life can be so simple. Staying conscious need not be difficult. It takes presence, awareness and a real desire to truly connect!

Marisa
Marisa

so true

Amany Kamel
Amany Kamel

Deep and insightful

Rho
Rho
4 years ago

It so easy to forgot to be present and yet so easy to be present for even a moment. Loved this article.

Robin
Robin
4 years ago

Superb. So exactly explains what we all need and need to try to give others, it is almost painful to read.

MikeB and the KarmaBand
MikeB and the KarmaBand
4 years ago

I just read this 3 times. Thank you so much for this priceless article. I, and many others I’m sure, have always had these virtues of bei g real, of amplifying every minute so that, within that minute, tbere is no doubt in the others mind tbat tbey are valued and treasured in the present moment of the other persons life. The biggest problem is that in this bamster wheel, we call life, is that the proper words to express my opinion or the time it takez to actually initiate theze “connect ions” remain blank…and the cycke continues because maybe it is hard to put into words or show. It was not until recently after 3 heart grilling issues that I would love to take back and not miss any moment at all. That one extra second to your children and or loved ones can play a pivoting role in the choices they do or dont make. Every second counts! We can sit and count sucess and wealth and net-worth without missing a beat, and be exited as we do it, and nothing will be a distraction. Yet when those moments become present in our “so swell lives”, thanks to greed,pop culture, and the “norm” of30 second “feelgood” distractions, we have become distant and unfamiliar with those extra moments, losing focus at around 12 seconds during treasued time, every time. And after all that, the beat is now dead or has changed. It will never play again. It was beautiful, authentic and sincere in its plea for even a nod or a sign of acknowledging, even a smile, and you missed it.

MinD-Skill
MinD-Skill
4 years ago

Beautiful insights. Everyone please share this wonderful article. And, if may add something simple – today, just smile at people you come across – and inwardly to yourself from time to time. Smiling releases “feel good” chemicals in your brain and lights up the world like sunshine.

Agne
Agne

A very good article

Lesley
Lesley
4 years ago

Great article. Reminds me of the importance of looking into the others eyes

Artie Lookinghawk
Artie Lookinghawk
4 years ago

The world is moving ahead at an amazingly fast pace. If we choose to go along for the ride, we should set limitations on our “busy” times to get back into our normal life. Remember, life is too short not to be happy.

Jean
Jean
4 years ago

I love to read about the practice of such a revealing help for communicating.

John Gabriel Otvos
John Gabriel Otvos
4 years ago

This is such a beautiful read. It clearly demonstrates the profound difference between communicating and connecting. This is likely why so many feel lonely today, as evidenced by yet another recent study.

Dan Addyman
Dan Addyman
4 years ago

I feel the connection in this piece. It is lighting up my face as I recognise the beautiful simple call to be present in every moment. Sending love out from my heart.

Libby
Libby
4 years ago

One of the best articles I have seen. Thank you!

Bernardo
Bernardo
4 years ago

Awesome article. Rarely seen articles on this important topic.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x

Get our regular newsletter sharing the latest updates, articles, films and events.

How will my data be used?